Digital Savvy Teacher

 Moore's Law states that technological advances double every two years, and in the same time frame, the cost of that technology halves. This puts digital tools in the laps of classrooms all over Aotearoa very quickly after they first appear on the market. 

So how on Earth do we keep up with it all?

We don't, at least, not all of it. 

I have some simple rules which I apply that helps me filter out what I might invest my time into learning:

  1. What will enhance the learning of my ākonga?
  2. My SAMR rule
  3. Start from a place of my own strength and confidence
  4. Can I learn about it in 60 minutes?
  5. Can I create something classroom-useful in 20 minutes?
  6. Join a community
Why?
1.  I'm a real fan of Sinek's Golden Circles when it comes to making changes to my classroom practice because it helps me focus on why I am making changes. So much of what we do in classrooms does actually help ākonga learning so I want to be clear that when I introduce a new tool or strategy that it's going to make even more of a positive impact for my ākonga. To make these decisions, I need to know my rangatahi, very well. I need to articulate why I think this tool can further enhance their learning and then I need them to trust me. I need to know their learning well enough that I can confidently decide that this new tool will be even better than before. I need them to be patient if there are some speed-humps along the way. 

2.
  SAMR - This model helps me decide if the digital tool will be transformative in how my ākonga learn. It helps me choose which tools will make the most difference. In 2013, Puentedura developed the SAMR model which looks at the differences between technologies that Substitute, Augment, Modify, or Redefine learning experiences. I'm looking to either modify or redefine. Sometimes tools we might use are mostly used to substitute an analogue strategy but has the opportunities to modify and even redefine. An example if using Word to type is a substitution for writing on paper. However, it has the ability to do speech to text and so for ākonga who struggle to type their ideas, this can be transformative. Word also caters for co-authoring and each author can view the same document in a viewing environment that is unique to each of them at the same time, including different-sized fonts, different background colours, and online or in-app.  
Something to ponder...
  • Which ākonga might you be able to further support with a digital tool or app?
  • How could you deepen learning experiences for everyone by using transformative apps and tools?
How?
3. There is a myriad of digital tools I might use that would further enhance learning for my ākonga but just like all kaiako, I'm time-poor, and so beginning with something that is already a strength of mine helps build my confidence.  
Something to ponder here...
  • What am I good at, comfortable with, and under-utilising...Are there transformative features in apps and tools you already use that can make big positive differences to your ākonga learning experiences? 
  • Are there apps and tools that utilise features you're already familiar with that you could quickly learn how to use? e.g. drag and drop features, text formating systems you're already familiar with.
  • Is there a tool or app already in my school that I might pick up?

What?
4.  Can I learn a practical and useful amount about this tool or app in less than 60 minutes? For me, this rule is important. I would happily spend hours down a wormhole learning about anything, but I don't always have time. Not only that, if it takes me longer then 60 min to learn, how on Earth am I supposed to teach a class of 30 rangatahi in my next lesson within my 10 minutes of teacher talk time in the activity? 

5.  Just like analogue tools and strategies you use in class, repeated use of the tool or app will help create ākonga who are confident in learning with that tool or strategy. I want to spend no more than 20 minutes making something usable for class with the view that as we use it more and more, I need to provide less scaffolding on how to use a digital tool or app. After a while, ākonga gather a collection of digital tools and apps they're capable and confident with and can actively choose which tool or app might best suit the task...THIS is digital fluency.

6.  "Whose brain can I pick?"  This is the last rule, get connected with a community of educators who are digitally fluent or are interested in building their digital fluency. This community might be within your school or it might be wider than your kura or school. There are many places online you might connect with a community that is like-minded but the most responsive places are on social media. I found that having an online community better for me because there were more people to share the 'answering load' and more likely someone had a moment to reply to my questions quickly. Initially, I lurked in the community, then I began asking questions. These days, I find myself thinking "I know how to do that" and I get to contribute too. 

Final words of wisdom...
Chip away at building your own digital fluency, start from a place of strength and have fun.  It doesn't have to be perfect, in fact, it is good for our rangatahi to see that function is more important than perfection. Less than perfect also contains our personalities and in a sterile digital environment, the more personality we can put into it, the more it will contribute to whanaungatanga which is critical for learning taking place.

Karawhiua !!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assisting Learning with Technology

Flipped Learning: Creating content

NZ MIEexpert hui 2018 - creativity